study permit - GS Immigration Advisors

9765 45 Ave NW Edmonton, AB – T6E 5V8

Call: +1-587-400-3335

study permit

Canada, NEWS

Canada has announced plans to assist those affected by the ongoing issues in Haiti.

Minister of Immigration, Citizenship, and Refugees Marc Miller unveiled fresh, short-term initiatives on May 23rd to assist those affected by the Haitian issues. A temporary policy to assist Haitians in Canada with a legitimate temporary resident status and those who are family members of Canadian citizens or permanent residents has been implemented immediately by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). Haitians can now apply for a study permit, open work permit, or status extension at no cost if they have family in Canada or are already in the nation on a visitor visa, work permit, or study permit. The Interim Federal Health Program will also provide qualified candidates with three months of health insurance coverage. Discover if You Are Eligible for Canadian Immigration Discover if You Are Eligible for Canadian Immigration Under this new temporary policy, who is eligible to apply?   Only the following people are eligible for this new stream: Haitian citizens and holders of passports who are in Canada and have a current status as temporary residents; Family members of citizens and permanent residents of Canada who: Departed Haiti on or before March 1st, 2024 (the applicant’s family member and Canadian citizen or permanent resident cannot be in Haiti at the time of application); landed in Canada on April 26, 2024, or earlier; and possess a current temporary residency permit in Canada. Permanent residents of Canada who: Left Haiti on or after March 1st, 2024; Arrived in Canada on or before April 26th, 2024; and Are subject to a waiting period for provincial or territorial health coverage. Haitian nationals who: Are outside of Canada; and Have existing permanent resident applications in progress. According to the IRCC, Haitian nationals living outside of Canada who have applied for immigration and are prepared to be granted a permanent residence visa but have lost their passport as a result of the continuing humanitarian problems may be authorized to enter the country without one. According to department estimates, 44,000 or so Haitians hold legal temporary resident status in Canada. Visit the IRCC’s dedicated eligibility webpage by clicking this link for further details. Family members also include relatives of permanent residents and citizens of Canada who came to the country as temporary residents through aided departures from Haiti. A Component of a larger plan   The Canadian government has implemented a broader approach to address the humanitarian crisis in Haiti, which includes the implementation of this most recent temporary policy. We have serious concerns about the welfare of the people in Haiti. The actions taken today will make it possible for Haitians to work and learn in a secure setting. – Marc Miller, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship At the start of the crises, Canada completed assisted departures from Haiti, which successfully transported 435 Canadian citizens, 111 permanent residents, and 135 temporary residents to safety. In addition, late last year IRCC also instituted a dedicated humanitarian pathway for Colombian, Venezuelan and Haitian nationals to apply for permanent residence (PR) on a priority basis. IRCC hopes to welcome 11,000 foreign nationals to Canada, through this pathway.

Canada, NEWS

Who needs a study permit in order to study in Canada?

Foreign nationals may be checking to see if they are eligible to study in Canada without a study permit in light of the recent announcement that Canada will be capping the number of international study permits given over the next two years. While the majority of foreign nationals wishing to study in Canada are required to get a study permit, there are several exceptions to this rule, according to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). In particular, foreign people who fit into one of the following eight groups could be eligible for this, according to IRCC. Discover your options to study in Canada Temporary learners A study permit is not necessary for foreign students visiting Canada for a post-secondary program lasting six months or less. relatives or employees of foreign delegates You might not need a permission to study in Canada if you are related to (as a family member) or employed by (as a staff member) someone who has been recognized by Global Affairs Canada (GAC) as a foreign representative to Canada. Note: To find out if you require a study permission, your embassy can get in touch with GAC. Members of a nation defined by the Visiting Forces Act as foreign armed forces A study permit is not required for certain foreign military personnel who are in Canada on official business and intend to continue their education here. This specifically relates to those who serve in the armed forces of a nation that Canada has designated under the Visiting Forces Act (VFA), either as designated civilian personnel or as members of the armed forces. It is important to remember that minor children and other family members of foreign military personnel may still need a study permit in order to pursue their education in Canada. Note: A letter of acceptance from Canada’s Department of National Defence is required for qualified members of the armed forces. Canadian Indians with a registration Keep in mind that being a Registered Indian does not equate to being an Indian citizen or resident. Rather, it alludes to being recognized as an indigenous person in Canada. Canadian minors Minor children can pursue their education in Canada without a study permit under the following five scenarios: The young youngster is either a refugee or a claimant. The little child’s parents are either refugees or asylum seekers. The parents of the minor kid are citizens or permanent residents of Canada. The minor child is accompanied by a parent who is permitted to work or study in Canada while attending preschool, primary school, or secondary school. The young person is enrolled in preschool, primary school, or secondary school in Canada, but they are not accompanied. Students studying French language and culture who are both temporary residents and asylum seekers In order to enroll in French language and cultural integration classes in Quebec, eligible temporary residents or asylum seekers in Canada need not need a study permission. courses for integration and settlement for temporary residents There is no need for a study permit for people who enroll in settlement and integration programs run by provinces or territories to aid in their adjustment to Canada. Workers not needing a study visa to study Without a study permission, foreign employees in Canada may be able to pursue their studies if they: Possess a current work permit that was granted on June 7, 2023, or before; or Received a letter from the IRCC by June 7, 2023, at the latest, allowing them to continue working while their work permit application or extension is being processed. The advantages of requesting and being granted a study visa There are advantages to applying for and receiving an IRCC study permit, even if there are some chances for foreign individuals to pursue an education in Canada without one. For Canadian minors The IRCC states that minors in Canada who have a valid study permit can access more opportunities, services, and programs, such as: Co-ops in secondary schools: work permits Social Services (in certain territories/provinces) The freedom to move between educational levels without having to seek for new permissions or change existing ones When minor children reach the age of majority, which varies by province or territory and is either 18 or 19 years old, they must apply for a study permit in order to continue their education in Canada. Advantages of a study permit in general: working while you study Depending on the terms specified in their study permit, only enrolled full-time students at Canadian Designated Learning Institutions (DLI) are permitted to work either on or off campus while they pursue their degree. Conversely, students who do not have a study permit are not allowed to work while they are enrolled in classes and must apply for a different kind of work permit. Discover your options to study in Canada

NEWS, Study

Getting PR after graduating from a master’s or PhD program as an international student

Students coming to Canada for a Ph.D. or master’s degree may find it simpler to get permanent residence (PR) currently. One of several modifications to Canada’s system for international students, the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) policy was originally announced on January 22 and was enacted on February 15, 2024 by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). Under this regulation, international graduates of master’s degree programs at Canadian Designated Learning Institutions (DLIs), the only post-secondary educational establishments approved by the International Relations and Cultural Council (IRCC) to admit international students, can now apply for a three-year PGWP. This holds true even for students enrolled in two-year master’s degrees or shorter. Discover your options to study in Canada Note: Prior to February 15, there existed a clear correlation between the duration of a master’s program and the validity period of a PGWP. How does this facilitate the Canadian PR process? The benefit of a PGWP is that, after completing a program at a DLI that qualifies, it enables graduates of overseas schools to work in Canada. Many of Canada’s immigration procedures either demand or reward job experience, therefore having work experience in the country is beneficial for individuals who eventually hope to pursue permanent residence. For instance, candidates with a minimum of 80* additional CRS points for work experience gained in Canada prior to applying for PR are rewarded by Canada’s well-known Express Entry application management system, which gives priority to a candidate’s Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score. *This point value is applicable to candidates for Express Entry under the Core/Human Capital Factors segment of the system who do not have a spouse or common-law partner. Candidates may obtain a variable number of CRS points depending on the circumstances, such as applying with their spouse or partner. Therefore, because it gives them more time to get useful Canadian work experience that they can cite on their immigration application, this enlarged PGWP policy will make it easier for qualifying students to obtain PR. Additional ways that IRCC facilitates master’s and PhD student immigration to Canada The CRS system of Express Entry incentivizes greater education. In addition to the value of a Ph.D. or master’s degree for immigration to Canada, the Express Entry CRS system favors higher education levels. In particular, the Express Entry system rewards students with master’s and doctoral degrees with the two highest CRS ratings under “level of education.” Master’s students: 126 points with a spouse/common-law partner; 135 points without Ph.D. students: 140 points with a spouse/common-law partner; 150 points without Simply, more CRS points gives candidates a better chance of receiving an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for Canadian PR. Many provinces/territories have dedicated Provincial Nominee Program streams for Masters/PhD students Students who obtain either a master’s or Ph.D. degree in Canada also open themselves up to various additional Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) streams. Note: With the exception of Quebec and Nunavut, eleven of Canada’s thirteen provinces and territories run PNPs. This is due to the fact that several of the provinces that are the top destinations for newcomers to Canada, such as British Columbia and Ontario, offer specialized programs for their graduates. You can click on the links below to find out more details about a few of these PNP streams. Ontario: Graduate Programs for Masters and Doctorates in Ontario International Post-Graduate Category in British Columbia Manitoba: Pathway for Graduate Internships Here is more information about the PNPs in Canada. Discover your options to study in Canada

Need an Advice for your Immigration Query
Get an Appointment Today!

Contact us today for expert assistance with visa applications, residency, citizenship, and more.

Contact Detail

Add: 9765 45 Ave NW Edmonton, AB – T6E 5V8

Call : 1-587-400-3335


Follow Us


You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2024 Copyright by GS Immigration Advisors

Scroll to Top